Friday, August 9, 2024

FAMILY IS HARD: UNDERSTORY








me: well i'm back in the magic forest. and i'm feeling better this time.
Rose: because you're with me, silly goose.
me: are you sure your St. Olaf relatives are here?
Rose: they got colds, that's how i'll know.

we enter Smurf Village.
me: wow. okay. 
Rose: MEET MY FAMILY!!!
we immediately get kicked out.

me: what happened?
Rose: they don't allow foreigners. we'll have to sleep out here in the forest tonight.
me: i'm pissing myself i'm so scared.
Rose: don't tell me that, that's disgusting. here, drink this, regulate your fluids.
Billy Corgan: looks like a giant pear.
Rose: it's gourd juice. you really are an idiot, Billy.

Papa Smurf greets me in the morning by making me sniff a rotten giant pear.
Papa Smurf: wakey wakey, sunshine.
me: can i be a Smurf?
Papa Smurf: no, brother, you'll NEVER be a Smurf. because you're human. see what i mean? you gotta grow up and be a man at some point. one day it must happen. get some grey on your beard like LeBron James, get distinguished!!!
me: i don't know how.

me: please tell me this is not a dream. this cannot be another dream. i need for this to be real as my eyes glaze upon Smurf Village.
Papa Smurf: it's the old saying, kid: if you remember the password you can't get in. best to be fucked in life, smoking weed is mandatory.
me: i tried talking to the other Smurfs but they all had glassy eyes and vacant stares.
Papa Smurf: i'm the only normal one here. the rest of the Smurfs went crazy when they realized they were Smurfs. they're long gone. i take care of them all with my knowledge of magic potions. i feed them, i clean them, i school them. it's a nice life.

we enter the kitchen mushroom.
Jen R: this place is cursed. there's something about these Smurf pies.
Papa Smurf: make the 500 of us supper.
me: can't.
Papa Smurf: yeah you can, you're just missing something.........try on this apron.
me: you know, i've never put on an apron before, never thought to when i cooked.
Papa Smurf: see? you're getting it now. learn some new experience every day.
me: help me with a recipe, Jen.
Jen: chocolate-covered Twizzlers...

me: what's a fast food i can use to feed 500 Smurfs?
Jen: tomato sauce!!! but there's a secret ingredient.
me: which is?
Jen: half-and-half in the tomato sauce. see?
Papa Smurf: this bitch knows her stuff. Smurfette can't cook.
Jen: your voice is kinda creepy, Papa, the more i listen to it. i discovered the recipe at a Medieval Times soup serving!!!

me: i can't do this.
Jen: you'll make it as long as you got this Smurf spoon, the wood spoon that never causes splinters in your fingers. 
Rose: spell fingers. the spoon is made from the bark of THAT tree. i'm related to these blue midgets, the two shows are NBC channel-mates.

Temple of the Dog: the only known grunge supergroup.

Snoop Dogg: Smiling G, that's me, not gangsta, Goodwill.

Kakashi: what's going on?
Suzy Lu: sorry, babe, but i got a crush on Colonel Silver.
Steejo: you like boxers?...

JFK Jr.: i coulda been the bridge between the past and the future. from the hope bridge of the past to the hope bridge of the future... 

male women's water-polo fans: we're the best fans. we wear swimcaps on or heads in the stands.

Sade: sex with me is a spiritual experience.

La Fiesta restaurant: it's not brunch unless you're wearing sunglasses.

Kung Fu Kenny: i was in Enter the Dragon...

me: the heptathlon, i could do that...
Jen: should i tell you?

Jordyn Poulter: Kerri Walsh without the sand...

Sterling Holloway: my voice was the last time all Americans were together.

Kenyatta: a Wikipedian died recently. the comments under his tribute page said, "you're editing Wikipedia in Heaven." is that supposed to be a happy thing?

modern pentathlon laser run: still not as cool as Lazer Tag.

Tom Craig: sorry, i got a little overexcited with Snoop Dogg being the Olympics mascot and all.
Snoop Dogg: weed, man, not cocaine!!!

Tom Craig: the Olympics are stressful. field hockey is a stressful sport. it's somehow FASTER than ice hockey. i can't be disqualified, cocaine is not a performance-enhancing drug. this is the best feel-good story of the Olympics. this explains kangaroo boxing in Australia. i started using because my childhood dream was to be a Power Ranger but that was only for New Zealanders...

Lucio Rossi: answer all phone calls only with your headphones...

Soma: that's the thing, if you've had a shit day but you get 10 hours sleep, your body just kinda gloriously forgets about it the next day...

Max Headroom: i'm the only person who could pull off advertising hard drugs on TV...

village blacksmith in Medieval times: i also smelt black-tar heroin...

IOC: imagine all the men's running events in the Olympics run naked...

Krillin: so i'm the Japanese Charlie Brown...

Joe Biden: what have i been doing since i retired? Dutch field-hockey team...

Lawman cooking orange upside-down cake on Cook's Country: in my world, sugar is wet, baby.

Noah Lyles: why isn't there tape at the end of Olympic races anymore? it would have made the Paris men's 100m even more wild.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: it's a shame the middle finger wasn't invented during the Middle Ages, it would have been useful.........Battle of Agincourt and all...

prairie smoke: Michael Landon inhaling cotton candy like cocaine.

Marvin Gaye: why do you cry everytime you hear "Mercy Mercy Me - the Ecology"? because of the arrangement of the song.

the three of us are next to the Smurfs' campfire cooking on it, a Dutch oven over it. it's soon become a raging bonfire that's getting out of hand. 
me: happy weekend, my babies, can you hear my voice through the smoke?
Jen: okay what we making for lunch Saturday TOMORROW?
Papa Smurf: Saturday-morning cartoons? no, Saturday-afternoon cartoons. your're making 500 bottles of Gummiberry Juice. all of my magic-potion bottles are really Gummiberry Juice.
me: but isn't that copyright?
Papa Smurf: NOT SO LOUD, kid, they'll hear us!!! quiet with that shit. Disney is ABC, not NBC, Gummiberry Juice is the only thing keeping my Smurfs blue instead of orange!!!










No comments: